Saturday, March 15, 2014

Speed Geeking






Have you ever heard of speed geeking? I had not until last Wednesday.The term comes from "speed dating."  Many people use speed geeking to do very quick presentations for groups, which in a way, is like speed dating. While there were not people "presenting" for my peers and I, there were still quick presentations. We were going through different technological devices, seeing the benefits and drawbacks of each. It was a lot of fun experimenting with different devices, applications, and online tools. 

http://www.securedgenetworks.com/secure-edge-networks-blog/bid/82406/20-Pros-and-Cons-of-implementing-BYOD-in-schools

Some devices that we looks at were: Chromebooks, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, and Surface Tablet.
Some applications we explored were: Write About This, Educreations, iMovie, and WeVideo. 
Some online websites we browsed through were: Padlet, Educreations, and Powtoons. 

All of these sources had some benefits and some drawbacks, but I did have my favorites. I am a GOOGLE LOVER. I love that there are many things you can do with Google, keep on Google, save/share on Google, and learn on Google. That is why, after experimenting with many devices, I still love the Nexus 7. There are many applications for google and it will also link to any other google device you have through gmail. 
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/


The Nexus 7 would be a great device to have in your classroom. There are many opportunities through Google and the applications for learning and development. Although I love the Nexus 7 and would be happy to have and incorporate it into my classroom, I still would pick a different device.



What device would I pick for my classroom? An iPad! I would pick an iPad for my classroom for many reasons. Students are more familiar with the iOS software and if they are not, it is easy to learn. I also think that even though they are kind of expensize, they have many benefits. The APP store offers millions of educational applications that are free or sometimes very inexpensive. It is also important to consider that many of the applications that teachers love and use are through iOS. With that being said, they would not be able to use that App on any other device. There are also things like iMovie that is fun, easy to navigate, and engaging for students to use in their development. On the iPad they can also incorporate many Google tools, like Google Drive. 
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/write-about-this-free/id601382666?mt=8

One application that is only available from the Apple store is Write About This. This is an application that I would love to incorporate into my classroom writing workshop. I would use the iPad and send students different prompts to practice their writing with. Write About This allows you to do just that. It links a prompt with a picture and question. Then the students can write right on the iPad through typing or using a stylus, or they could write on paper. You are also able to create your own. This app, and many others, are the reason I am for iPads in the classroom. 

I would also use iPads in many other ways. Students could collaborate on Google drive, create iMovies together, or even blog. The iPad does not limit you to many things, but broaden your horizons as a classroom teacher teaching with technology. Even though I am an android fan, I think Apple products in the classroom, when used appropriately, can be highly effective. No matter what device you use, I hope it compliments your teaching in ways that your students can be more engaged in their development and learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment