Sunday, February 16, 2014

ISTE: Technology Standards for Teachers and Students



ISTE Standards
https://blogs.ubc.ca/cwchapman/2014/01/18/iste-standards-self-reflection/






ISTE, also known as International Society for Technology in Education, is where the National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) that should be implemented in your classrooms can be found in detail.

When I first began looking at the teacher and students ISTE standards, I took an assessment on Atomic Learning to see how much I knew about the standards. Surprisingly I did pretty well (after only reading over the standards online). The teachers' standards where what the assessment was mostly over. The main ideas of the ISTE standards for teachers are listed on the image to the left. When I took the assessment, I seemed to know most about (100% on) Standard 2 (Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessment) and Standard 4 (Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility). Sadly, I need to work on Standard 3 (only 50% correct) which is Model Digital-Age Work and Learning. When looking at the questions I got wrong, I noticed that a lot of them were when I had to pick multiple answers. This was hard because they all seemes right. I also struggled with the modeling questions because the answers were related to tools that could help the classroom or encourage students to use the tools in the classroom. This is the area that I need to focus on getting more knowledgeable in. 


ISTE Nets Graphic
http://nets-implementation.iste.wikispaces.net/                                                     
To the right is an image of the main ideas for the NETS for students. If you look at these and then the NETS for teachers, there are many similarities and differences. The first one is about creativity and innovation. The teachers standard talks about how students can meet this and the students standard shows the importance of how they can represent they have met this standard. Digital citizenship is another direct relationship. It is the same for teachers and students, but the students standard show how they can represent digital citizenship. There are many other similarities within the standards and how they relate, but lets talk about the differences. The main difference people see is that there is 6 standards for studentsand 5 for teachers. The reason there is 6 for students is because students need to be able to learn to USE the technology and understand different concepts. Teachers should already know how to use them, so they should be teaching the students these things.

When you look at the standards, I think that the expectations are just like state standards that are set up, just for technology. To me, these expectations are achievable and important. Teachers need to understand the importance of teaching technology and how students can use it to better their learning. Although, if we want them to be able to use it to better there learning, we have to teach them things like digital citizenship and operations so they can be responsible with it. These are expectations that I think any parent or teacher should hold for themselves if they are allowing students to use technology in a classroom or at home.

As you can see, there is a lot to learn about ISTE standards. I have only talked about them briefly. If you are a preservice teacher like myself, I would highly reccomend getting on Atomic Learning. It has many activites that can help you understand the standards. I would also make sure you do research on them, read them thourougly, and go through each one with someone else. This will help you talk them through and have a much deeper understanding of them. Laslty, I would try to come up with ways that you could potentially meet and use the standards in your room. This will help you see the importance and enrichment of the standards.

http://www.thedaringlibrarian.com/2011/03/iste-board-of-directors-let-your-choice.html



2 comments:

  1. I appreciate that you embedded links into your blog; I hadn’t even thought about that. I struggled to consider how I could help educate other pre-service teachers, so I enjoy that you embedded a link to send them to Atomic Learning and added some quick positive advice. I also missed questions with multiple answers; it was difficult to know how many were correct. I think the Atomic Learning assessment was an eye-opening experience. There is so much we need to know to be educated teachers within the realm of technology. You wrote that as teachers we do not have a standard about using technology because we should already know how. Does this leave you with any worries? Do you think we can learn from our students? One last thought I will leave you with: Take a look at how the teacher and student standards are written, do you notice a difference in their purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, it does leave me with worries. Some teachers may not know how to use many different types of technological tools. That is why it is extrememly important for people like us, who do use it, to keep showing others. We should also constantly be learning ourselves. This is important because we need to learn how to use it before we can share it with our students. Yes, I do think we can learn from our students. They are definitely one of our resources, but before we can introduce a new form of technology to the entire class, we need to be well educated on the decive at hand. Once we are, we can share it with all of the students and thank the one that introduced us to it.

    Of course I notice a difference in the purpose of the standards. One is to teach and one is to learn, if that make since to you. In my head, that is the best way to understand the different purposes. Thank you for your feedback Carrie!! :)

    ReplyDelete